As a general point life gets less confusing when you retrieve you objects one at a time rather than drilling through several at once..

When you get used to using stuff on a daily basis then of course you're going to start opting for one line rather than several. but IMO you better thinking/coding like this until you get used to messing with these things.

session.setAttribute("foo","bar");

if you wanted t o get to the application scope to shortest way in an actions would be

ServletContext context = getServlet().getServletContext();

or words to that effect.

Might be an egg sucking lesson but seems to be this trendy coding style thats confusing you. So could very well be useful.

HTH mark