There's some java thingy you can use to do this, sslext or something..

If you are using apache for your webserver you can use mod_rewrite which means less hassle configuring development envionments and such like.

Here's an example.

NameVirtualHost machinedomain.net:80

<VirtualHost www.sparrow.com:80>
DocumentRoot /www/www.sparrow.com
SSLEngine off
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} ^80$
RewriteRule ^\/checkout https://%{SERVER_NAME}%{REQUEST_FILENAME} [R,L]
RewriteRule ^\/admin https://%{SERVER_NAME}%{REQUEST_FILENAME} [R,L]

</VirtualHost>

Listen *:443
NameVirtualHost [i used the ip here]:443

<VirtualHost www.sparrow.com:443>
DocumentRoot /www/www.sparrow.com
SSLEngine on
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} ^443$
RewriteRule !^(\/checkout)|(\/admin) http://%{SERVER_NAME}%{REQUEST_FILE
NAME} [R,L]

        SSLCertificateFile /[apache home]/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /[apache home]/conf/ssl.key/server.key
        SSLCACertificateFile /[apache home]/conf/ssl.crt/intermediate.ca
</VirtualHost>

and requests containing /admin or /checkout will have https scheme forced those that are not wont.