What's your logging level set to?  We recently did a late roll-in of log4j to our app
and discovered that when we set logging level to debug, the initial struts/tiles
initialization process takes forever (>5 mins) and generates thousands of lines of
debug statements as the various config files get parsed.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3/18/2004 3:19:19 PM >>>
Chris,

I have precompiled JSP files. So i do not think that is a problem. Rather I feel it is
ActionServlet which is taking time to intialize on first startup.

Yes, I tries to use the cache mechanism of Apache (in windows), like mod_cache,
mod_file_cache, mod_mem_cache and mod_disk_cache. But could not see much improvement.
But no cache mechanism in Tomcat.Or are you talking of something else?

Apache provides cache taglibs for the JSPs. Do you recommend to use that?? The site
that you have mentioned http://wiki.opensymphony.com/space/OSCache, I have been to
there, but that is a commercial one. I want a freeware. Can you give me some
reference?

Regards,
Satya.

that

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 McCormack, Chris wrote :
>If you build your war file using ant then you can use jasper (see
>org.apache.jasper.JspC) to precompile your jsps. This is useful if you are deploying
>your app to a live user environment and dont want the initial compile time to impact
>any users experience.
>
>On top of that you could use tomcat/apache mods to compress requests etc.
>
>If you are serious about needing bigger performance boosts, then look at partial/full
>caching. i.e store in server ram/disk the static or infrequently changing parts of
>your application (jsp or java objects), or have a small cache period on dynamic but
>less frequently updated parts of your application.
>There are a few companies that ply these out of the box caching solutions on
>companies now for extortionate cost (naming no names) but there are a few excellent
>open source contenders. The best of the open source solutions I have used is this one
>: http://wiki.opensymphony.com/space/OSCache (It does tie you in to using HttpSession
>unfortunately, but with a few lines of code you can easily work around this).
>
>It is a shame that this project http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=128 is not in
>progress, anyone on this list working on it ? ;)
>
>cheers
>Chris McCormack

This message has originated from R.L. Polk & Co.,
26955 Northwestern Highway Southfield, MI 48034

R. L. Polk & Co. sends various types of e-mail
communications. If this email message concerns the
potential licensing of a Polk product or service, and
you do not wish to receive further emails regarding Polk
products, forward this email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the word "remove" in the subject line.

The email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed.

If you have received this email in error please delete this message
and notify the Polk System Administrator at [EMAIL PROTECTED]