Depending on your appetite for the cutting edge, you may want to investigate struts-chain, which is currently in "contrib", but which is targeted for replacing the current RequestProcessor on a Struts 1.3.x timeframe (which will probably begin in earnest shortly after the move to Apache TLP status is complete)

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-struts/contrib/struts-chain/

The chain wouldn't solve your problem by itself, but it does expose the request handling lifecycle to much more flexible manipulation than is currently possible by extending RequestProcessor

This thread about "struts-workflow" from earlier today on struts-dev may be worth a look:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.struts.devel/18250

There has also been a bit of discussion about "Renderers" or "View Controllers" although I suspect that they may be aimed at somewhat lighter processing than your use case:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.struts.devel/18086

You aren't the only one who has faced this problem. It would be great to provide support for more complex forwarding logic in the Struts core, if we can round up enough folks with different use cases to find a good general solution.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]