What I've learned is that here is no standard or recommendation defining
what should happen when the user hits enter on a text box, so browsers are
allowed to do whatever they want.

OTOH, this is what I've observed:

When the user hit's enter while context is in a text box:

1. Internet Explorer 6 with single text box does not submit any submit
button, it just submits the text box value.

2. IE 6 with multiple text boxes submits the first submit button on the
form.

3. Opera 7 with any text boxes submits the first submit button AFTER the
text box.

This lead my design to the least-destructive submit button first, and placed
after all text boxes.  Where there's only one text box in the form, I assume
a default action on the server side.

I did not try any other browsers (i.e. netscape, safari, etc.), any other
version of the above browsers, or any other platforms (tested only on W2K
Pro).

This page
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/www/formquestion.html
seems to have a good summary and explains item 1 above with a suggestion
found in the HTML 2.0 spec:

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_8.html#SEC8.2

This google link suggests that alot of people have been talking about this
issue:

http://www.google.com/search?q=form+submit+enter

._. Brian