We have some customer-supplied selection options that have double quotes in their values, and Struts 1.1 isn't seeming to handle this correctly.

Best I can tell from the HTML spec, these should be placed on the page as " , which will submit them as %22 , which *should* be seen on the server side as double quotes again, right? And Struts should be able to match that to an existing entry so it can properly set the "selected" value.

Instead, it seems the options tag isn't "escaping" the quotes at all (changing them to ") and that if we manually do it ourselves, the "selected" item still isn't being set when the page is reloaded. IIRC, the tag is just leaving the quotes inside the attribute value, which outputs invalid HTML.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks.

Sounds like a bug to me. You can see from the code
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/taglib/html/OptionsTag.java?view=markup
that no manipulation is being done to content being rendered between attribute quote-delimiters.

Please file a bug at http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/

Joe

PS it appears that other tags have the same problem; at least, I initially looked at OptionTag instead of OptionsTag, and it definitely needs the same fix:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/taglib/html/OptionTag.java?view=markup

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining."
-- Jef Raskin