I think I need to do some simple test cases - with and without struts.

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Germuska [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 26 March 2004 15:20
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: How does ActionForm data pass through container called form
based login page?

>I might be able to put some general code in the login form (as a jsp)
>that puts all form data present in the previous page into the login
form
>so it could be passed on, but that will still leave the problem of the
>method becomes GET instead of POST.
>
>I'm really hoping there's a more elegant solution - after this
>technology's been around for a while!

Yeah, but there are some basic limitations to the container managed
security model, and I haven't heard any signs that they are being
addressed.  For example, container managed security doesn't allow you
to present a login form to a user as a component of any page besides
the single registered form, and it doesn't allow you to server
resources from one path with two different states, "user authorized"
or "not authorized"...  Both of those are standard in modern webapps,
but there's no clean way to handle them using container managed
security.  (I saw a JDJ article last year that had some work
arounds...)

So that said, it may not be surprising that the container managed
security model also has no support for continuing the flow of request
data to the originally requested URL after logging in.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]