That looks good.

My only comment now is, I see you've switched cgmanager from Suggests:
to Depends:...is that *really* needed to fix a memleak here?  i.e., if
you uninstall cgmanager and re-run your memleak tests, does mem still
leak?  While changing it to a Depends: isn't impossible, I'd prefer to
do that only if there is a specific reason to do so that can't be easily
fixed some other way.

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of STS
Sponsors, which is subscribed to the bug report.

Title:
  systemd-logind: memory leaks on session's connections (trusty-only)

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd source package in Trusty:
  In Progress
Status in systemd source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd source package in Artful:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd source package in Bionic:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  Below the SRU request form. Please refer to the Original Description
  to a more comprehensive explanation of the problem observed.

  [Impact]

   * systemd-logind tool is leaking memory at each session connected. The
   issues happens in systemd from Trusty (14.04) only.

   * Three issues observed:
    - systemd-logind is leaking entire sessions, i.e, the sessions are not
      feeed after they're closed. In order to fix that, we proactively add
      the sessions to systemd garbage collector (gc) when they are closed.
      Also, part of the fix is to make cgmanager package a dependency. Refer
      to comment #1 to a more thorough explanation of the issue and the fix.

    - a small memory leak was observed in the session creation logic of
      systemd-logind. The fix for that is the addition of an appropriate
      free() call. Refer to comment #2 to more details on the issue and fix.

    - another small memory leak was observed in the cgmanager glue code of
      systemd-logind - this code is only present in this specific Ubuntu
      release of the package, due to necessary compatibility layer with
      upstart init system. The fix is to properly call free() in 2
      functions. Refer to comment #3 to a deep exposition of the issue and
      the fix.

  [Test Case]

   * The basic test-case is to run the following loop from a remote machine:
     while true; do ssh <hostname-target> "whoami"; done

   * It's possible to watch the increase in memory consumption from
     "systemd-logind" process in the target machine. One can use the
     "ps uax" command to verify the RSS of the process, or count its
     anonymous pages from /proc/<logind_pid>/smaps.

  [Regression Potential]

   * Since the fixes are small and not intrusive, the potential for
     regressions are low. More regression considerations on comments #1, #2
     and #3 for each fix.

   * A potential small regressson is performance-wise, since now we add
     sessions to garbage collector proactively.