You have been subscribed to a public bug by Nicolas Bock (nicolasbock):

[Impact]

Bionic's OpenSSL 1.1.1 package
(https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+source/openssl) is the only
version of openssl 1.1.1 on any distro that we've encountered that does
not have support for the OPENSSL_NO_ATEXIT functionality from 1.1.1b
(openssl/openssl@c2b3db2).

The threading model in .NET has the possibility that background threads
are still running when exit() is called, which can cause SIGSEGV if a
background thread interacts with OpenSSL after/while it has unloaded.
For that reason, we always initialize OpenSSL 1.1.1 with the
OPENSSL_NO_ATEXIT flag (which, of all the distros we run on only has no
effect on Bionic).

We feel that the stability of applications on Ubuntu 18.04 would be
improved if the functionality of OPENSSL_NO_ATEXIT was merged into the
bionic openssl 1.1.1 package, even if the constant isn't published into
the header for the dev package.

Context:
https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/issues/48411#issuecomment-1178405101

[Test Plan]

The described behavior can be reproduced by passing the
OPENSSL_NO_ATEXIT to the OPENSSL_init_ssl() call. The application will
terminate with a SEGFAULT. More concretely, a minimal reproducer is:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <openssl/err.h>
#include <openssl/ssl.h>

#ifndef OPENSSL_INIT_NO_ATEXIT
#define OPENSSL_INIT_NO_ATEXIT 0x00080000L
#endif

static void print_error_string()
{
    printf("print_error_string:\n");
    printf("ERR_reason_error_string(0) => %s\n", ERR_reason_error_string(0));
}

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
    // register this handler first, so it runs last.
    atexit(print_error_string);

    OPENSSL_init_ssl(
            OPENSSL_INIT_ADD_ALL_CIPHERS |
            OPENSSL_INIT_ADD_ALL_DIGESTS |
            OPENSSL_INIT_LOAD_CONFIG |
            OPENSSL_INIT_NO_ATEXIT |
            OPENSSL_INIT_LOAD_CRYPTO_STRINGS |
            OPENSSL_INIT_LOAD_SSL_STRINGS,
        NULL);

    print_error_string();

    return 0;
}

Building

$ sudo apt install libssl-dev
$ gcc test.c -lssl -lcrypto
$ ./a.out
print_error_string:
ERR_reason_error_string(0) => (null)
print_error_string:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

[Where problems could occur]

The patches adds an option to the OPENSSL_init_crypto() function to
disable the default behavior of calling of a cleanup function on
application exit. The patch also includes a few bug fixes around various
initializations that were supposed to happen once when running threaded
but were not.

These changes have the potential for regressions and it is conceivable
that they lead to incorrect behavior. However, I have also backported
and included all new testing functions in the hope that the changed
behavior will get appropriate testing.

** Affects: openssl (Ubuntu)

** Affects: openssl (Ubuntu Bionic)

--
dotnet build intermittently crashes with segfault on Ubuntu 18.04
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1983100