Thank you. After some discussion on IRC, I solved the issue, but for
completeness please allow me to quote the summary here:

*I was playing around with Hercules, and for that I use x3270 which is an
IBM mainframe terminal emulator. It installs a custom font, which is
(drumroll) EBCDIC!*

*This is proven by starting "xterm -font 3270" which gives gives me an
xterm with the same issue.*

*In StumpWM when starting, it tries to open a font called "9x15". If that
font doesn't exist, it gets all fonts and uses the first one. In my case,
that happens to be "3270" (presumably since it starts with a digit).*

I submitted a PR which was accepted here:
https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm/pull/635

Regards,
Elias