On 09/03/2015 17:19, Jef Driesen wrote:
On 2015-03-09 14:24, Willem Ferguson wrote:
I am currently working with dive logs of the Galileo. I am looking at
the events during the dive.

Are you talking about direct downloading from the dive computer, or importing from the Uwatec application?
I am talking of the directly downloaded files I presume: those saved as subsurface.bin. Am I right? Certainly the links you refer to below are helpful in decoding these. I will do controlled dives with a Galileo, generating events in a planned way, then download the dives as subsurface.bin and decode them to see the way the events were recorded. I have written software to do the decoding and I think it is quite sufficient for these purposes. I have a reasonable understanding of the dive structure and the way flags and events are implemented. I can read any arbitrary dive within the whole downloaded dive log.
At least, that is my general plan of action.

The following events are recorded:
a) Several alarms, e.g rapid acscent, MOD alarm, excessive workload,
CNS overload, missed deco stop, RBT exceeded. Some of these have a
second marker for resetting the alarm (e.g. MOD; ascent rate).
b) Events such as gas change and bookmarks.

1) Which of these are handled by libdivecomputer and can therefore be
handles in Subsurface? This will determine which ones I will
specifically look at.

Have a look at the libdivecomputer parser_sample_event_t enum. It lists all the events that are supported today. Note that the current events were modeled after the Suunto event model. This will be reworked significantly after the v0.5 release, and not all events will be kept (especially the Suunto specific ones).

Thanks. This is very helpful.

2) I would prefer just providing the dive log details for
implementation, for instance "this is how gas changes are recorded
into the dive log...". Would this be workable for you at all?

Sure. If you're going to reverse engineer the data, you'll be interested in these pages:

http://diversity.sourceforge.net/uwatec_smart_format.html
http://diversity.sourceforge.net/uwatec_galileo_format.html

Thanks, I am in contact with Simon Naunton.
Assuming I uncover something useful, I will document this in the libdivecomputer wiki,
as well as on Simon's existing web page.

They are lacking in a few areas, but as a starting point they are still a good reference.

BTW, you can always document your findings on the libdivecomputer wiki.

Jef