On 02/01/2018 15:34, Robert Helling wrote:
Willem,

reading your second mail, I understand there are only two different ceilings left: The one in the divelist which equals the one in the planner when you remove the ascent points and the second one you get in reedit until you remove the ascent waypoints.

This is a „feature“ of the VPM-B model: It treats the „decompression phase“ different from the bottom part of the dive, in particular it takes note of the ceiling at the beginning of the decompression. In the planner (as well as replan), we take all the explicitly listed waypoints as the definition of „bottom phase“ (so in replan before deleting the waypoints, the whole dive is „bottom phase“). In the divelist we make a clever guess (thanks to Rick’s code) as to where the bottom phase ends. This tends to be very close to the true bottom phase of planned dives (when the entered waypoints end at the deepest part of the dive and then the planner takes over and manages the ascent) but is not exactly the same.

I have recently blogged about this problem here

https://thetheoreticaldiver.org/wordpress/index.php/2017/12/22/vpm-b-for-real-dives-or-not/

Best
Robert

Hi Robert,

It's such a pleasure interacting with someone who really understands this thing, because I do not. I will document this issue in the user manual. It's really the way that the representation in Subsurface interacts with the VPM algorithm when a dive plan is reloaded for editing.

Would there be a possibility of a user defining the end of the bottom section of the dive and for automatically clearing the ascent dive points when a plan is reloaded from the dive list for editing? I understand how arbitrary the "start of ascent" can be, e.g. when doing multi-level diving.

V-planner handles this problem in a bit of a different way. One can define predetermined segments (e.g. a multilevel dive or a cave dive) that cannot be avoided in the ascent. However, between these segments, V-Planner still calculates a deco schedule. For instance if a multilevel dive has two depths, e.g. 40m for 20 min; then 20m for 20 min, V-Planner still gives deco stops between 40m and 20m, even though there is a pre-determined 20min "stop" at 20m. It would be wonderful if Subsurface has a way of dealing with this situation. You have no idea how powerful the Subsurface dive planner is for rapid graphical assessment of gas volumes used, planning for possible failure of a deco cylinder and many other things. The graphical representation makes an enormous difference.

Thank you so much for your time.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf for full details.