I have a new macbook, but have seen issue 1 and not 2.
Is there some sequence of usb/cd creation I should try that might produce
the problem?

Its intel mac only, right? My partner has a desktop mac running leopard, but
its intel also. I can later try on this setup if it would be of value.

Cheers,
James.