Sean,

I'm blowing my own horn here, but I just finished a new version of Read
Etexts that might be worth a look.  The new version has a "Books" tab
that lets you search the Project Gutenberg offline catalog and download
titles to the Journal.  Gutenberg has lots of Juvenile books as well as
well known books by European authors in their original languages.  I
posted it on ASLO yesterday, with new screenshots.

In addition to the catalog search, if you run it on SoaS you can use the
Speech tab to read the book aloud with word highlighting.  Many
different voices are available, so for instance you could use a French
voice for the works of Dumas and Verne.

The books are plain text, no pictures, but if I say so myself Read
Etexts has become impressive in a way it never has been before.

For books with pictures you could suggest a visit to the Internet
Archive website to get books in PDF format that Read could use.  There
are some remarkable PDFs of scanned in book pages there.

James Simmons