On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:31, Peter Robinson<pbrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That sounds like a horrible hack to me. The whole point of RPMS is
>>> that you can see before you install them exactly what your getting and
>>> when you remove them you know that everything goes with them, I don't
>>> know how its going to be possible to properly clean up something like
>>> that on removal. I think there has to be a use of one or the other, or
>>> a combination of the two where core activities are packaged as rpms,
>>> or Activities that include binary bits that need to be compiled so
>>> that its easy to support on various platforms.
>>
>> Yeah, I'm not 100% happy on that, but this seems to be a situation
>> where the least evil needs to be found.
>
> :-)
>
>> The binary bits issue needs to be solved anyway on .xos (some of them
>> are already multi-architecture), so only the scenario of an user
>> trying out Sugar on fedora remains.
>
> The issue there is that Fedora could be x86 or ppc, 32 or 64 bit
> excluding some of the other secondary arches. Probably not too much of
> an issue at the moment but with cheap arm based netbooks starting to
> hit the market it could be something that needs to be addressed sooner
> or later.

Agreed, I think it was Aleksey who converted some activities to
contain binary blobs for several architectures and choosing the right
one at runtime.

>> About cleanup, .xos are expected to be self-contained so when packaged
>> as .rpm shouldn't need any cleanup.
>
> If they're proper rpms it should be fine but if there's a single rpm
> that pulls .xos from somewhere I don't see how it can know how to
> clean up given that after its installed there's nothing to say they
> can't be updated manually or through the control panel.

Hmm, true. It would need to check that it deletes only the versions it
installed.

>> If people want to package and maintain those as .rpms, I don't see any
>> problem with that. But if we don't have enough hands for that, the
>> alternative I proposed might be worth it (is actually what SoaS does
>> when creating an image).
>
> I think its worth packaging the core activities as rpms such as
> read/write/record/speak etc to allow easy testing upstream to make it
> easy for testing regressions like we discussed at Fudcon. For the rest
> of the activities it might be worth looking at something like an
> activity bundle rpm or something similar.

Yeah, I like that one as well, I guess a script could make it quite
easy to update.

Regards,

Tomeu