Art,

I have been able to host .xo files on a web server in my home.   It
was an Apache web server provided with my Linux distro and I did
nothing whatever to configure it for .xo files.  I used this web
server on my development box so I could copy my Activities from my
development box to my XO without copying them to and from a thumb
drive.  It worked just fine.

Now whatever was done to your web server makes your .xo files
downlload with a .zip suffix.  When I tried to download one of them I
got a file named OurMusic-1.xo.zip.  The extra .zip suffix is what
prevents Sugar from recognizing your Activity as a .xo file.

So perhaps your tech needs to undo what he just did.  Apache doesn't
need to know what a .xo file is to make it available to download, and
.xo's are not a standard MIME type.

James Simmons