I like the idea, and much prefer it.
As for the design, what about using as a toolbar icon the
journal+pencil icon? It would imply that you are writing something
into the journal, in this case the title and description and tags of
the current activity.
There is a potential problem of adding another persistent icon to the
toolbar, which is it shrinks the space for the activity's icons. If
this is the case, perhaps this functionality should be merged with the
Keep button in some way, but since Keep is/will be used to Keep new
versions and also to Keep the activiy in a different format it would
need a new design. Perhaps these options (Keep new version, Keep as X)
could be added as buttons on the top or bottom of the description
window which would be a secondary palette of the Keep button.

Just food for thought.

Eduardo