On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 07:06:19PM +0000, Gary C Martin wrote:
> Hi Aleksey,
>
> On 23 Nov 2009, at 18:45, Aleksey Lim wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 07:39:14PM +0100, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> >>
> >> Good to see progress on this. Much appreciated. Some questions...
> >>
> >> - Why is the depcheck happening at "first start" time? Install time
> >> seems be more appropriate: install time means there is a src of
> >> software, needed deps can be grabbed from the same src if present...
> >
> > in that case we entirely depend on 0install, so sugar provide just new
> > GUI for 0launch(here just for downloading/building dependencies).
> >
> >> - What happens if the deps are missing? If the user is offline?
> >
> > activity fails to start but in case of offline, 0install provides some
> > options that could be useful for users(0share, 0mirror).
> >
> >> - What happens when the build fails?
> >
> > activity just fails, and of course we can add some kind of bugreporting
> > feature.
>
> First up, to be honest, I don't plan to use or involve myself with 0install
> for any activities I'm involved with

> (may be if it works invisibly as a worst case fallback)...

if you have ready to use 0depend.xml file(for example from another
activity which uses the same deps) you as developer should only place
it to activity/ directory and for users starting this activity means
only having additional downloading progressbar(for the first time).

> But, if a deployment/teacher wanted to distribute one (or several) of these
> non-Sugar compliant installs on a USB stick for remote class installation, is
> it a trivial step for them to put 'the activity' on a stick so it can be
> installed without any network access or local server at install time?

0install integration is just an optional addon to activity bundles,
you can all time package fat .xos as usual.

> Example: Teacher travels from a remote village to an education ministry or
> town with internet access once a month. Downloads a selection of new
> activities and content from ASLO to their USB stick. Journeys back to their
> village and uses the USB stick to install/upgrade each machine, kids also
> share the activity .xo bundle from Journal with friends who can't make it to
> the school.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Zero_Install_integration#Deploy_0install_packages_from_ASLO_like_a_regular_sugar_activities

as an addition, we can support offline mode for such activities
(request for downloading all required deps for all such activities
by one click).

--
Aleksey