On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Gary Martin <garycmar...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sascha,
>
> On 11 Dec 2010, at 09:40, Sascha Silbe <sascha-ml-reply-to-201...@silbe.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Excerpts from Gary Martin's message of Sat Dec 11 05:05:07 +0100 2010:

>>> I'm still thinking on that one... Chat type notifications from friends
>>> would seem like the ideal case for a consolidated, time ordered list of
>>> chat messages (not mixed in with other notification types), so you could
>>> actually have a valid conversation flow with collaborating buddies. If new
>>> messages were shown attached to the given buddy icon context, you'd be hard
>>> pressed to follow the sequence of a conversation (that UI would only really
>>> work for one on one private conversation flow).
>>
>> I don't think chatting is a good use case for notifications.
>
> Agreed, I tried to make that clear in some of my previous emails, however top
> right corner pulse notifications 'may' provide the way to reveal this
> activity without too much screen intrusion, along with (possibly) buddy
> badges.
>
>> And we
>> already have XMPP and the Chat activity (they even work with non-Sugar
>> users up to some extent!) for that. If there's something about it that
>> you don't like, please bring it up so we can fix Chat (or XMPP support
>> in general) instead of bending new tools to do the same.
>
> This is not the same as a specific Chat focused activity. Activity
> collaboration already provides a Chat channel for free, but it is not exposed
> by Sugar. I think there may have been one exception here for a board game
> activity that put this chat channel in a split screen of the activity. Using
> the frame would allow the Sugar shell to manage the chat channel for all
> activities, suddenly every activity automatically gains a useful
> collaboration feature!
>
>> One improvement that came up in the past but never got implemented is
>> overlay chat for activities [1].
>
> Yes, this is just the kind of use I was trying to cover, perhaps using a top
> right corner pulse to indicate that an buddy chat message arrived, and then a
> right frame edge icon to reveal the actual text when the owner wants to see
> it (or alternatively badging a right frame edge buddy icon and adding the
> text message there). One complication is that each shared activity has a
> separate chat channel, so if you are using Paint, and a message arrives from
> a user in Moon, the notification needs to indicate which activity the new
> buddy message can be found in.

It seems then that notification and activity-specific chat are linked.
Why not put the notification on the activity icon on the Frame and use
a chat that is similar to your previous design for system-wide chat
that appears with the buddies on a per-activity basis?

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs