The operative code on the school server is /usr/libexec/create_user. What Manash describes is apparently using the db setup by idmgr to list the registered laptops. I don't think you will
break compatibility.

What I hope we can look at is implementing LDAP as a central authentication for all of the services which require a user name, password. Of the top of my head - Moodle, Khan Academy Lite, OwnCloud, and Elgg.

My brief experience with OwnCloud is that it is a shell requiring a lot of configuration. I would be interested if TK has actually deployed it and, if so, how he uses it. I don't know of any one else who is using it at the moment.

Tony