XMPP is a standard protocol (originally called jabber). Currently, collaboration is supported on the schoolserver by ejabberd. This implementation has not been changed for years AFIK.

In any case, implementation of collaboration probably should be XMPP compliant to maintain maximum compatibility with what we are doing now.

Tony