Tony,

I own an XO laptop from the first Give One Get One promotion, so I know
what it can do. I've used the Terminal Activity and I wrote the Sugar
Commander Activity because I thought that the original design of Sugar,
which made your thumb drive look like the Journal, was not such a hot idea.
In my opinion files and directories should look like files and directories
and the Journal should look like the Journal. I know that some of the newer
XO's can switch to a GNOME desktop.

I never tried developing Activities on an XO because I never had to. It is
definitely easier to do things the way I do it, and for someone living in
the U.S. with reliable internet it's pretty cheap. I agree that this is not
the case for all the students, or even most of them. It's a case of "to
those who have, more shall be given."

I had the same situation when I wrote *E-Book Enlightenment*. Free e-books
in English are plentiful, other languages not so much. I had to write
chapters on making e-books, figuring out what is in the public domain,
photographing book pages, building a device to hold books in place for
being photographed, doing optical character recognition, donating books to
PG and archive.org, etc.

Maybe MYOSA needs a chapter on using the XO for developing applications,
installing Git and using it locally, etc. My own XO has been in a drawer
for a couple of years.

James Simmons