On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 11:31:39PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> We're in Beta freeze for Fedora 28.

Thanks for the update.

Our How To install Sugar on Fedora is here;
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/docs/fedora.md

> We have Sugar 0.112, there's
> nightly images for the various architectures at the URLs below. Please
> test so we don't end up in a situation like last cycle where people
> were testing at the last moment before release.
>
> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub//fedora/linux/development/28/Spins/x86_64/iso/
> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/28/Spins/armhfp/images/
> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/development/28/Spins/i386/iso/

These links very unreliable; have to keep hitting them until the
redirector leads me to an up to date mirror.

I've tested Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-28-20180312.n.0.iso and
updated the How To ... 01941aa.

Most of Sugar works, as do the included activities.

Issues were;

- the Write activity flickers, due to AbiWord event handling flaw,
  Sugar Labs #4915, Fedora #1287835, AbiSource #13791, with Debian and
  Ubuntu carrying my patch,

- the Paint activity starts but the mouse does not draw on the canvas,
  we have a fix committed but not yet released, and the fix is
  effective on Fedora 28,

https://github.com/sugarlabs/paint-activity/commit/a8828f162606b6eed847b0444f156ac1c95b6866
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/paint-activity/issues/29

- the Words activity fails to start, citing PyGObject Namespace WebKit
  not available, for 3.0, we have a fix committed but not yet
  released, and the fix is effective on Fedora 28,

https://github.com/sugarlabs/words-activity/commit/ae8ccca439f34f99df6fb7a34313ab57af9e5e9e
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/words-activity/issues/12

- the Ruler activity fails to start, with a Cairo assertion and
  SIGABRT, https://github.com/sugarlabs/ruler/issues/4

- My Settings (control panel) - Network does not render, traceback
  says PyGObject Namespace NMClient not available, workaround is to
  hit escape,
  http://dev.laptop.org/~quozl/z/1evdqY.txt

- My Settings - Software Update offers Memorize-52 to -53, Clock-19 to
  -20, and Pippy-66 to -71, so these are likely packaging lag,

- for each activity, the activity toolbar description entry icon is
  not rendered,

- after testing each activity once, there were about 3283
  PyGIDeprecationWarning messages written to logs.

Installing Fedora Workstation was very slow, and it performed poorly
once installed, especially logging in, logging out, and using the
GNOME desktop.  I wasn't able to identify a cause for delays.

Performance of Sugar desktop was normal.

> One thing to note is there will be a newer CSound package landing
> shortly, it's been upgraded from 6.03 to the latest 6.10 and I've no
> idea if the API has changed and if it will affect any of the
> Activities using it. You'll be able to testing by doing a "dnf
> upgrade" once booted.

Not to worry, none of the activities in SoaS import csound.

csound 6.10 did segmentation fault on Ubuntu 18.04 beta back in
January with the Music Keyboard activity, but now works okay with both
Measure and Music Keyboard.  Neither activity is in SoaS.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/