Thanks for reaching out.

On Sat, Mar 9, 2024 at 2:59 AM ankita kumari <ankitakumari3...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Walter Bender , Devin Ulibarri,
>

> I hope this email finds you well. My name is Ankita, and I am excited
> about the opportunity to work on the project "Add real-time collaboration
> to Music Blocks" for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) with Sugar Labs. Before
> we proceed further, I believe it would be beneficial for us to have an
> initial discussion to align on project goals and expectations.
>

> Could you suggest or advice me at your earliest convenience to discuss the
> following topics?
>

> 1. Project Overview: I would like to gain a deeper understanding of the
> goals and objectives of the project, as well as any specific requirements
> or constraints.

The goal of the project is to enable Music Blocks users to work
cooperatively on a Music Blocks program in real time. (By analogy, think
about working on a Google document in real time with a colleague. As you
make changes to the document, your colleague sees them, and vice versa.)
The Sugar Write program (which incidentally predates Google Docs) has the
same functionality.

> 2. Technical Details: It would be helpful to discuss the technologies
> involved, such as frontend and backend languages, and any existing
> frameworks or libraries we plan to leverage.

Music Blocks is written in JavaScript. Presumably there will be a
server-side component, which could be written in, for example, Python. But
that is largely up to you. Something you'd specify in your proposal.

> 3. Timeline and Milestones: I aim to establish a clear timeline with
> achievable milestones for the project, allowing us to track progress
> effectively throughout the GSoC period.

The timeline is also largely up to you as long as it fits into the overall
GSoC timeline and requirements.

> 4. Collaboration and Communication: Effective communication is key to the
> success of our collaboration. I would like to discuss our preferred
> communication channels and frequency of updates to ensure we stay aligned
> throughout the project.

We largely communicate in Matrix. There are details in the Sugar Docs repo
in github.com/sugarlabs.

I use the Element client for Matrix. For this project, we'd hang out in
https://app.element.io/?pk_vid=8071c9718feef07a1612906641e052f1#/room/#musicblocksdev:matrix.org

> 5. Mentorship and Support: I value your expertise and guidance as a
> mentor, and I am eager to learn from your insights and experience. I look
> forward to discussing how we can best support each other throughout the
> project.

I'd recommend as a first step that you get familiar with Music Blocks --
write some Music Blocks programs and start to familiarize yourself with the
code. There are lots of detailed README files in the MB repo.

You should also look into the Sugar collaboration model. Although we are
doing something somewhat differently, the gist is the same. It may give you
some basic ideas about interaction, if not implementation.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to either of us or the Sugar community
at large.

> Please suggest me how to start the project.
>

> Thank you for considering my request, and I look forward to our discussion.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Ankita

regards

-walter