I haven't had any luck getting sugar-runner working so I thought I'd try
just getting Xephyr working by itself and see what I could learn that way.

I found this tutorial on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECHH2JFA8SM

So I tried it out. The Xephr window came up, but gnome-shell failed with
these messages:

jamessimmons@unknownF4390913EB01:~$ Xephyr :5 -ac -br -noreset -screen
800x600 -dpi 96 &
[1] 330048
jamessimmons@unknownF4390913EB01:~$ The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp)
reports:
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86CameraAccessEnable
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86CameraAccessDisable
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86CameraAccessToggle
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86NextElement
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86PreviousElement
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86AutopilotEngageToggle
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86MarkWaypoint
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86Sos
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86NavChart
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86FishingChart
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86SingleRangeRadar
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86DualRangeRadar
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86RadarOverlay
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86TraditionalSonar
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86ClearvuSonar
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86SidevuSonar
> Warning:          Could not resolve keysym XF86NavInfo
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

jamessimmons@unknownF4390913EB01:~$ DISPLAY=:5 dbus-run-session gnome-shell
&
[2] 330078
jamessimmons@unknownF4390913EB01:~$ dbus-daemon[330082]: [session uid=1000
pid=330082] Activating service name='org.gtk.vfs.Daemon' requested by
':1.0' (uid=1000 pid=330084 comm="gnome-shell"
label="unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023")
dbus-daemon[330082]: [session uid=1000 pid=330082] Successfully activated
service 'org.gtk.vfs.Daemon'

*fusermount3: failed to access mountpoint /run/user/1000/gvfs: Permission
deniedlibmutter-Message: 12:01:54.089: Running GNOME Shell (using mutter
45.4) as a Wayland display serverFailed to setup: Could not take control:
GDBus.Error:System.Error.EBUSY: Device or resource busyA connection to the
bus can't be made*

Does this suggest anything to anyone?

Thanks. And also thanks for putting up with me venting on this stuff.

James Simmons