Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:14:44 +0100
From: "J.M. Maurer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [sugar] AbiWord 2.6.5 pushed, please test!
To: sugar@lists.laptop.org

Hi all,

I've just updated AbiWord to 2.6.5 in sugar-jhbuild as well as fedora's
OLPC-3 branch. A public release on abisource.com will follow soonish,
but we don't want to keep the kids waiting now, do we?

The most important change in this release for OLPC is "improved complex
script rendering". To be precise: before 2.6.5, AbiWord did not always
shape composite glyphs correctly. This made AbiWord unusable for
languages like Arabic.

So, I'd like to ask everyone familiar with such languages to test
AbiWord 2.6.5. If you use the Write activity that uses libabiword 2.6.5
to test Arabic for example, then make sure to use a font that includes
Arabic glyphs. DejaVu Sans does if I remember correctly[1].

We improved our rendering based on community feedback only, as none of
the AbiWord developers have any knowledge of complex scripts themselves.
Ergo:

   * We depend on your feedback! *

Thanks to all who helped in the process so far.

If you find any bugs, the please file a bug report at
http://bugzilla.abisource.com. Extra kudos if you can reproduce it
reliably  :)

Cheers!
   Marc

[1] Write should default to a proper font based on the locale. It's a
known 'bug'.