From: Bert Freudenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: November 25, 2008 8:46:39 EST
To: "Ken Ritchie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [sugar] Finding cursors. Ripples in a puddle?

(Did you intentionally not send this to the list? If not, feel free to forward my response.)

On 25.11.2008, at 13:11, Ken Ritchie wrote:

How would I get an event from the XO touchpad when it is touched? (I wanted to figure this out before replying to your Etoys list msg ...)

- Bert -

I don't know, as I haven't explored the etoys code yet. Do the "mouse down" and "mouse up" events come through? Mouse down would certainly happen on a tap, and hopefully at the beginning of a drag, wouldn't it? What about a light touch and liftoff...even with no tap and no drag?

This is independent of Etoys, I was asking in general. Tap-to-click is disabled on the XO, as far as I am aware there are no events visible to user software when the pad is touched. The hardware supports this though, and if you run other Linux on the XO it does tap-to-click.

Do you think would like it best if the ripple occurred on touchdown or liftoff...or both?

Touchdown only.

In my mind's eye, I imagine the surface tension letting go and causing a ripple as I lift my finger off the pad. Of course, it could ripple on landing, too. However, I was wondering about what *minimal* effects would be *just enough* rather than making lots of ripples during frequent pad strokes when I am most likely to be aware of the cursor's location.

Yep, this would take a lot of fine tuning to not be annoying.

One could experiment with this by just using move events - if the pointer was not moved for some time, and then is moved, that could trigger the effect.

- Bert -