Hi Yama,

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Yamandu Ploskonka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> BTW, I love this trend to sugar/olpc-specific threads, but
>
>  1) I do not have a Sugar <> OLPC filter in my brain.
> I guess there are some specific subjects, maybe hardware -> OLPC,
> Sugar Activities and code -> Sugarlabs,
> but what about implementation?  Wetware?
> We could claim that OLPC Foundation going out of its way to turn its
> back to the OLPC community (I'm sure I am going to pay dear for that
> line) means the community should move elsewhere, but it doesn't feel
> right.  I am a reformer, not a revolutionary, and believe in bringing
> about change from the inside as long as it is possible, and at least the
> community still has a lot of voice in the laptop.org wiki, and it's been
> home way too long.

This has nothing to do with communities going nowhere, but about
division of responsibilities. We have had long discussions about this
and I think we have agreed that for OLPC is good if other projects use
Sugar and that it's in the interest of all that a forum exists to
discuss Sugar issues not specific to OLPC.

If your interest in Sugar is only inside the OLPC context, then you
are welcome to discuss those matters in [EMAIL PROTECTED] (provided
it's related to software development). If on the other side you are
interested in discussing Sugar software matters with a broader scope,
then [EMAIL PROTECTED] is for that.

Many people like myself will be writing emails to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] because we'll be dealing with both OLPC issues and
with non-OLPC issues. And I don't see any conflict in there.

> Right now I am to open a wiki page about using XO/Sugar for Health
> education in Bolivia.  Should I open it in Sugarlabs or OLPC wiki?  It
> is marginally a devel issue (specific software might be needed), but
> it's mostly a _people_issue, and we have great folks in both sides, and
> most of us have one foot on the boat and another on the pier...

I see the concrete problem of deciding where to publish your work or
to create a space for a new project, but I don't agree with the feet
metaphor. You can be involved in work with both your neighborhood
association and with the parents association of the school that your
children attend to, and some subjects will be shared by both groups of
people, but does that mean that both associations should merge? Or
that you should feel uncomfortable for attending both groups'
meetings?

Olpc in small caps is a much bigger project that OLPC is, and OLPC's
work is sure to cause many many more organizations to appear and those
will work together in the broadest project of bringing improved
education to all children in the world. I hope we can watch and
participate in the evolutionary process with as little drama as
possible.

> I will open it in Sugarlabs just to be wicked, but there is something
> not quite right in having to chose between mama and poppa.

I hope my words above have provided you with an alternative view of
this situation. It's not about choosing between mama and poppa but
about individuals working together and creating and modifying spaces
of collaboration in search for more efficient ways of cooperation.

> 2) people are crossposting and now I have another list to deal with.

Surely it would be nice to be able to have all conversations in one
single list, but when subjects grow and different groups of people get
involved, we are forced to find more elaborated ways of communicating.

Regards,

Tomeu