On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Eben Eliason <eben.elia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone -
>
> The Human Interface Guidelines [1] have been stagnant for some time,
> and I'm starting an initiative to remedy the situation.  This effort,
> as I see it, has two components: 1) update the contents of the HIG and
> 2) tease apart OLPC guidelines from Sugar guidelines, and adjust
> hosting accordingly.

Thanks. I have just been in a discussion of Help facilities (Yay!),
and of doubly-delayed popups (Boo!). The question is how to make as
much as possible easily discoverable, and what to do about anything
left over.

Earth Treasury is getting a textbook rethinking, redesign, and
implementation consortium together.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai/Creating_textbooks

At some point we want to write a new XO+Sugar manual that encourages
as much discovery as possible, but covers every known non-discoverable
feature in some way. But we won't stop at features. We will move on to
the non-discoverable parts of teaching discovery, collaboration, and
other Really Big Ideas.

> UPDATE: The content update is something I'll spearhead myself, as I
> wrote most of the current guidelines.  Assistance is certainly
> welcome, however, /especially/ in amassing lists of holes that need to
> be plugged; I'm sure there are countless implicit guidelines we all
> follow that should really be laid down clearly and explicitly.
> Ideally, we should be able to answer any noob question about visual or
> interaction design by pointing to a sentence in the HIG.  In that
> regard, there is a component for the HIG in the OLPC trac system, so
> tickets are welcome.  As I mentioned, a small bit of the HIG (mostly
> the "input methods" section, but perhaps others) are XO specific.
> I'll attempt to tease this apart as well.

I'll invite in some other people who know something about the matter.
I assume that we need to comb through the Sugar framework and existing
Activities to find any exceptions to documented practices, and discuss
whether to document or change them.

> Thanks for your assistance!
>
> [1] wiki.laptop.org/go/HIG

And Children are my nation.