On Mon, 25 May 2009, Jason wrote:

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Dag Wieers <d...@wieers.com> wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2009, Sorin Srbu wrote:

 The dkms-nvidia-x11-drv-180.51-1.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm
<http://dag.wieers.com/attic/RPMS/dkms-nvidia-x11-drv-180.51-
1.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm>  package installed on a system having kernel 2.6.18-
128.1.10.el5  x86_64 and so far no issues, Will test further using
compiz, as
it
makes use of the driver.

Would there be a 32b rpm as well for this? I'd be willing to test it.

THere is an i386 package available (and if all is well, it should be in the
default repository), and there is also a -32bit x86_64 package that contains
the 32bit libraries and tools for x86_64 (since both dkms packags cannot
coexist).

More feedback is welcome.

Here are my findings. They are limited to one system.

Video card used for testing GeForce 7900GTX.

2.6.18-128.el5PAE i386  Kernel. This is the default kernel an user would
have after installing Centos 5.3. The nvidia dkms install would not build
against this Kernel.

2.6.18-128.1.10.el5PAE i386 This is the Kernel an user would have after
updating their Centos 5.3 install, and the nvidia dkms install would not
build against this Kernel either.

2.6.18-128.1.10.el5 non PAE Kernel. This kernel is available in the Centos
repo, and the nvidia dkms install did build against this Kernel.

As noted earlier the x86_64 Kernel worked with out issue.

So it would seem the only standing issue, is that the dkms nvidia package
will not build against a PAE kernel.

For now I would have to adivse users wanting run 32bit, and nvidia to do so
on systems with less than four gigabytes of ram, as running a non PAE kernel
will lead to some ram not being used, and a PAE kernel causing the nvidia
dkms install not to work.

Jason,

This is very interesting, since I saw that elrepo did succeed in building kmod packages for 32bit PAE of the exact same version. So I was wondering if you may be missing the kernel-PAE-devel package or something causing the build to fail.

Normally you can find the reason for failed dkms builds somewhere inside /var/lib/dkms, maybe easiest to do a:

        find /var/lib/dkms -name make.log

Thanks in advance,
--
--   dag wieers,  d...@wieers.com,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --