On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Christoph Maser wrote:

Am Montag, den 07.06.2010, 15:20 -0400 schrieb Steve Huff:
On Jun 7, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Christoph Maser wrote:

As I am for a much more strict policy at rpmforge I vote for a complete
removal of perl-XML-LibXMl and perl-XML-LibXSLT or at most provide an
old version for perl-XML-LibXSLT wich works with the perl-XML-LibXML
version from base. It is much better to not have a particular piece then
to have a broken version.

i did some digging into this (see SVN r8817), and we need at the very minimum:

perl-XML-LibXML <= 1.69
perl-XML-LibXML-Common (bring it back from the vault)
perl-XML-LibXSLT <= 1.63

and we need Dag to remove any later versions from the repo.

if we want to roll all the way back to the versions from upstream, we
 have to go back to perl-XML-LibXSLT <= 1.59 (there's already a spec
 for this in SVN).  for packages that are as widely used as these, i'm
 OK with offering versions that replace packages from upstream, since
 their absence is really crippling.

Well as I said I am for a very strict policy. I would rather start over
and never ever package anything which is in base after the lessons
learned so far.
From what i see in the buildlogs/repo there never was perl-XML-LibXML
available from rpmforge before the version 1.70 and the only version for
perl-XML-LibXSLT is 1.59. So remove perl-XML-LibXM do nothing with
perl-XML-LibXML-Common (the packages are available) and we're done.

Indeed, the change that triggered a rebuild of this package (which was explicitely excluded) was:

http://svn.rpmforge.net/viewvc/rpmforge/trunk/rpms/perl-XML-LibXML/perl-XML-LibXML.spec?r1=8221&r2=8518

which happened very recently (1/2/2010).

In the future when something is explicitely disabled (with a description) it's best to not change it without discussing it.

        ### EL4 and EL5 ship with perl-XML-LibXML 1.58
        # ExcludeDist: el4 el5

I agree with Cristoph that in the future I would prefer seeing 2 repositories, one which does not replace packages, and another that replaces packages and is consistent in itself (pulling those packages to fullfil requirements).

--
--   dag wieers,  d...@wieers.com,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --