On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Ingvar Hagelund wrote:

* Dag Wieers

RPMforge is a third-party repository for RHEL, CentOS and Scientific
Linux. It provides add-on RPM packages that increase functionality and
productivity for both Server and Desktop based environments. (...)

  = RPMforge now consists of more than one repository:

      + rpmforge - packages that _do not_ replace base packages
                   (eg. nagios, wine, vlc, xine, mpg123, ...)
      + rpmforge-extras - newer packages that _do_ replace base packages
                          (eg. lftp, rsync, subversion, ...)
      + rpmforge-testing - alternative test packages
                           (eg. wine-1.3.x, ...)
      + rpmforge-buildtools - packages required for building RPMforge pkgs
                              (eg. bison, make, rpm-macros-rpmforge, ...)

    For convenience, packages belonging to one of the above repositories
    are tagged respectively with rf, rfx, rft and rfb distribution tags.

First: This is GREAT news. Thank you so much.

Second: This may be a FAQ, but anyway; will there be much overlap
between rpmforge and epel, or will you try to avoid parallell work by
skip packages that exists in epel? (In short: Is it a goal to make
rpmforge and epel more compatible?)

The reason why EPEL is not compatible with RPMforge dates back to the days when Fedora was started. We already were packaging for Red Hat and RHEL, and were interested in Fedora too. Fedora Extras did not exist in those days.

It was clear that Fedora was not interested in RHEL packages at that time and since that was our main focus anyway, collaboration was no option (you can find those discussions on the Fedora mailinglist archives). It was rather painful.

Anyway, a few years ago some people in the Fedora community became interested in RHEL packages, and so they started from their own collection of packages, which by then were not compatible with what we already had. Hence the current situation.

I think both we as well as EPEL are interested in becoming compatible, but unfortunately that's something that is very hard to achieve, not only because it requires a lot of communication (which is seen as an impediment to someone's work) but also that nobody wants to carry the effort.

I have some ideas on how we could improve the situation, and which could eventually lead to compatibility with EPEL. And in fact made some modifications to my buildsystem to test whether this would be possible, but because there are some more important issues to address I don't think it is a good time to introduce that now.

--
-- dag wieers, d...@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, i...@dagit.net, http://dagit.net/