Hello Jan,
Internal lane shapes are recomputed every time by default (although they
can be fixed by setting an additional attribute).
The reason for the re-computation is mainly historical, I supposed.
In typical input formats (e.g. OSM) internal shapes are not present and
must be computed anyway.
When customized, these internal lane shapes are also part of the plain-xml
(.con.xml) file.
See http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Networks/PlainXML#Connection_Descriptions
When the internal shapes are set in the proper way, they should not change
when editing some far-away intersection.

best regards,
Jakob