Hello,
you can use the tool traceExporter.py to filter sumo fcd-output on the fly
and put the output into one or more target files (for each target file a
bounding box, and time range can be configured). It is also possible to
change the sampling interval and the percentage of vehicles that shall be
exported.

Read here about connecting sumo and traceExporter directly via a socket so
that no large file must be written:
http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Tools/TraceExporter#Input_Options

Read here about filtering: http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Tools/TraceExporter#fcd
http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Tools/TraceExporter#Processing_Options

Unfortunately, there is currently no tool to perform the same type of
processing for the netstate-dump.
regards,
Jakob