According to the wiki
(http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Simulation/Output/Lane-_or_Edge-based_Traffic_Measures)
density is given as "#veh/km"
However, looking at the source in MSMeanData_Net line 179 and 208 it is
computed as

dev.writeAttr("density", sampleSeconds / STEPS2TIME(period) * (SUMOReal) 1000 /
myLaneLength)

I cannot see why the above gives the number of vehicles per Km in the lane
during the period. As far as I see, sampleSeconds is updated as expected
sampleSeconds += timeOnLane
so it seems to be what the wiki says "Number seconds vehicles were measured on
the edge/lane".
It seems that we have the fraction of time the lane has been occupied
multiplied by 1000  and divided by the lane length.
Is this an error or is this coming from some formula I do not know of?