Hello,
you can place detectors on so-called internal lanes.
This should be considered experimental and there is currently no support
for this in netedit.
You must obtain the lane id corresponding from sumo-gui as explained here:
http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/SUMO-GUI#Investigating_internal_edges_and_lanes
Note, that for left-turns the connection may consist of two consecutive
lanes.
regards,
Jakob