With respect to TraCI, I thought that the following line of code loads and
starts the simulation:
                   traci.start([sumoBinary, "-c", "run.sumo.cfg"])
However, now I realize that this loads and starts the basic (or zeroth)
step. The actual step by step simulation is executed by the following line
of code:
                  stepCount=traci.simulationStep() #capture the steps of
simulation, one step at a time

Please correct me if I am wrong, further comment please.