Hello,
The real-time speed factors can only be compared meaningfully in relation
to the simulation size (network size and number of vehicles). For the small
bologna scenario (one of the public scenarios available at
http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Data/Scenarios#Bologna) I'm getting a speed up of
580x real time (9k vehicles within a 3km^2 network).

For the real time factor with external control the comparison is even more
difficult since it depends very much on the usage pattern
(rerouting every vehicle during every simulation step is much slower than
just touching a few vehicles every once in a while).

Depending on your usage scenario you could see much higher real-time
factors (100x real time in some of my TraCI scenarios).
If you explain what kind of external control you want to achieve I might
hazard a guess as to the speeds you could expect.

regards,
Jakob