On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Tony Moss wrote:

> As a dial maker and reluctant 'number cruncher' I use computer spreadsheets
> for all my calculations but have had to rely on my old printed six-figure
> tables for one remaining job - the log tan values in the sun's azimuth
> calculation.
>
> e.g. My printed tables give the log tan of 25ƒ as  9.668 673  Can I use my

9.668 673 = 10 + log tan 25 degrees; i.e., 10 + (-0.331327)

Does that help at all?

> Casio fx 85s Scientific pocket calculator to achieve this result or do I
> need a special type of calculator?  No combination of keystrokes I've tried
> produces anything like that figure and, like Pooh Bear, "my brain is
> starting to hurt".
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Hoping someone out there can offer guidance with a 'mystery sundialling
> gift' as a 'thank you' for the first correct solution!!
>
> Tony

 Richard B. Langley                         Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geodetic Research Laboratory               BITnet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering Phone:    (506) 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                FAX:      (506) 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3         Telex:    014-46202
      Fredericton?  Where's that? See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/