Remember, SA is a quasi-random variation.  Sometimes, the instantaneous SA
error is 0.  Did you monitor the position for at least 15 minutes?  To the
best of my knowledge, the U.S. military no longer has the need to turn off SA
durirng operations.
-- Richard Langley
   Professor of Geodesy and Precision Navigation

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Fernando Cabral <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>...This error seemed too big and too systematic to be taken
>>as an accident. Could it be the case that the American
>>government is lowering the GPS precision because of
>>the war? Has any one noticed any similar behaviour?
>
>Hi Fernando,
>
>I had the same thought, so last week in the first hours of the bombing I
>checked
>my own GPS receiver.  I found the GPS position to agree perfectly with the
>topographic map position of my backyard (to the nearest arcsecond in both
>coordinates, the limit of the display).  Usually one of the numbers differs in
>the last digit, but not that night!
>
>-- Roger
>                         *--------------------*
>                         |  Roger W. Sinnott  |
>                         |  Associate Editor  |
>                         |  Sky &  Telescope  |

 Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3
     Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/