Chris Lusby Taylor said in his comments about the Glossary:

"Dial types/equatorial: Why do you say this is a misnomer? I think it is
a perfectly acceptable alternative term, indeed I prefer it to
"equinoctial". Cousins uses it."

>I very much agree with Chris, not only does Cousins use "Equatorial"  but
so does Mrs Gatty, Alice Morse Earl, A P Herbert, Mayall & Mayall, Winthrop
Dolan, Albert Waugh, Roy Marshall, H Robert Mills and Rene R J Rohr in the
translation of "Sundials , History Theory and Practice".
In his "Shire" book of Sundials my colleague and friend, the BSS Chairman,
describes why he thinks that the correct term is Equinoctial (because it is
in the Equinoctial plane) but he also admits that the term "Equatorial" has
come to be accepted by current usage.  Surely it is current usage that has
determined what the English Language is today?   We call a dial in the
vertical plain a Vertical dial, a dial in the horizontal plane a Horizontal
dial, what is wrong with calling a dial in the equatorial plane an
Equatorial dial as it has for at least the whole of this century.
No doubt others will have different opinions but at the very least the
subject should be aired.

Christmas Greetings to All
David Young
51.38N   0.01 E