John,

"Accurate" and "precise" are relative terms; they are meaningful only in
context. I would think that one could have a ring sundial that was precise
relative to other ring dials, although not precise relative to large,
finely-divided dials. I agree that in general large dials with small divisions
can be read more precisely.  It is surely possible to have a precise dial that
is not accurate, for example one with incorrect divisions.

At 08:35 AM 4/29/99 , Phil Pappas wrote:

>Is it possible to have an accurate sundial that is not precise?   (I think
so)

>Is it possible to have a precise sundial that is not accurate?  (I think not)

>John Carmichael
>Tucson
>tel: 520-696-1709
>website: <http://www.azstarnet.com/~pappas>http://www.azstarnet.com/~pappas