Frank,

It may be a surveying party for the triangulation of India: a square of four
corners, with three sides being sufficient for signaling between the four
stations.  At those distances I suspect that only the heliograph could be
observed with a theodolite during the daytime.

Gordon

At 12:47 PM 6/23/99 , you wrote:
>Maybe somebody can remember more of Kipling's poem referred to earlier
>than I can.  Or even the title.  It was about India, I'm fairly sure.
>Part went something like:
>
>Are you there, are you there, are you there?
>Three sides of a ninety mile square,
>With a helio winking like fun in the sun,
>Are you there, are you there, are you there?

Gordon Uber [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reynen & Uber Web Design http://www.ubr.com/rey&ubr/
Webmaster: Clocks and Time http://www.ubr.com/clocks/