Mike,

I encountered a similar problem in analysing the stained glass dial from
Wendon Lofts.

Assuming that there are no signs of the gnomon support to define the
sub-style angle on your dial, I would get a value of the declination from
the asymmetry of the "earliest" and "latest" hour lines on the dial.

Then, having measured all the hour (and half- and quarter-hours if they
exist), I would plot y = hourline angle - LHA vs x = LHA.  This should give
a curve which starts at the origin, rises to a peak, then returns to zero at
LHA = 90 degrees (this for the case of a direct south dial - the curve will
be offset for the am and pm halves for a decliner).  This experimental plot
can then be compared to a series of theoretical ones calculated for
different latitudes eg by the BSS Sundial Constructor program.  The closest
fit tells you the latitude of your dial.

The advantage of the rather strange-looking x-y parameters that I have
suggested is that it (a) it makes use of all the hour line information you
have, (b) it is most sensitive to lines around 45 degrees, and (c) plotting
the difference between hourline angle and LHA maximises the differences
between curves for different latitudes.

You may have to iterate around the above loop a couple of times if there is
significant uncertainty as to the declination.

I hope this helps - I have the Excel plots from the Wendon Lofts dial if
they are of any use.

John Davis