Not that it will affect sundials in the short term, but discussions are
underway to abolish or modify the procedure of adding leap seconds to UTC
every year or two.  See the November issue of GPS World for details.
-- Richard Langley
   Professor of Geodesy and Precision Navigation

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Jeff Adkins wrote:

>I think that dialists hate DST because it is an "inelegant" or clumsy solution
>the problem of reconciling fixed clock time to the variable sunrise time in
>middle latitudes.
>
>I don't know of a better solution; perhaps the listserv readers have a creatie
>suggestion.
>
>On a related point, consider this:
>
>What about going back to simple solar time?  With today's digital technology
>clocks could be made "retro" so as to display sundial time as a function of
>date,
>as opposed to making sundials try to display "clock" time!
>
>Something to think about.
>
>Jeff Adkins
>
>John Carmichael wrote:
>
>> Psyko Kid wrote:
>>
>> >I know that most dialists hate daylight savings time (for what reason I'm
>> >still not sure)  Anyway I thought I'd rub salt in your wounds by telling you
>> >that I am probably the only person on the planet who has decided to stick
>> >with daylight savings time.  I have a flexible employer, and I enjoy having
>> >bit of daylight when I get home for bike riding or whatever.
>> >(Please send any hate mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED])
>>
>> Dear Mr. Kid:
>>
>> If your employer is so "flexible", then ask him to let you go to work and
>> come home one hour earlier, then help us get rid of Daylight Saving Time!
>>
>> Happily Standardized in Arizona,
>>
>> John Carmichael
>
>--
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Jeff Adkins
>Location: 38.00 N, 121.81 W
>CA, USA, Earth, Sol III

 Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3
     Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/