I believe there is no commission charge to the recipient of a Pound Sterling
Money Order. The charge to the purchaser is typically a few dollars but
depends on one's bank plan or whether one purchases a money order at the post
office.  Bank drafts typically cost the purchaser a dollar or two more than a
money order.
-- Richard Langley
   Professor of Geodesy and Precision Navigation

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Tony Moss wrote:

>Fellow Shadow Watchers,
>                       Just at the moment a fair amount of my brassware
>seems to be heading for the USA and this always presents the problem of
>payment in another currency and the disproportionate amount of commission
>charged by the *licenced robbers* - sorry - 'banks' when handling small
>amounts.
>
>My preferred  solution is for a bank draft in 'Pounds Sterling' and I
>remember being told that there are agencies who can handle this by post
>at reasonable rates.  If anyone can recommend a US agency to handle such
>things, or a better method, I'd be pleased to pass on the good news.
>
>Best Wishes
>
>Tony Moss
>
>P.S.  I've looked at credit card trading but this doesn't work for
>smallish irregular transactions.  It would be ideal otherwise.

 Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3
     Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/