Mac Oglesby wrote:

> .... a dial to indicate
> relative sunburn danger.  Installed at a swimming pool or beach, this type
> of dial wouldn't even need any hour lines - regions of color would alert
> the sunbather as to when (s)he would burn most rapidly.

As an optical/solar physicist, I was intrigued by this, and the possible errors
in its use.  As long as the sunbather is in a horizontal position, and not
particularly concerned about sunburn on the sides, just on the top, one could
have a vertical post gnomon with concentric circular rings around it, giving
zones of angle of incidence upon a horizontal plane.  With the sun highest in
the sky (smaller circles toward the center) the incident irradiance on the
horizontal would be the most, giving the most exposure in the least amount of
time, due to the smaller angles of incidence and the lessened optical distance
through the atmosphere (measured by "air mass" with a vertical path being one
air mass).  The circles with larger diameters centered on the vertical post
would receive shadows from the sun lower in the sky, at greater angles of
incidence on the horizontal and more attenuated by the greater distance (air
mass) through the atmosphere.

The question of the affect of clouds is handled in a couple of ways.  With a
partly cloudy sky, one can have total horizontal radiation approaching that of
the extraterrestrial value of 1350 W/m^2, because radiation is received from
the direct sun and by reflection from white clouds surrounding the sun,
producing what we know in optics as a crude form of what is called a
"nonimaging concentrator."  Sunburn risk is particularly bad when this
particular could orientation occurs.

With a hazy sky, the shadow will be a bit more fuzzy, indicating less direct
beam radiation, but the total solar exposure can still be quite high.  To be
safe, there would not need to be a correction for this case.  With darker
clouds, obscuring the sun, the shadow would disappear, and the sun-bather would
expect to receive less exposure, probably wisely.  There are cases, however,
where the diffuse sky radiation can produce sunburn even with the sun obscured
by a cloud or two.

If one were seated in a semi-reclined position, however, and facing the azimuth
of the sun, the exposure would be greater for lower solar altitudes than for a
totally prone position.  I guess one could have a kind of correction table or
diagram near the sundial, giving correction factors for exposure at other
angles and directions of repose than horizontal.  But then this would not truly
be a sundial not needing correction.

Ross McCluney
Florida Solar Energy Center
Cocoa, Florida  USA