On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Gordon Uber wrote:

> Third minutes (sixtieths of second minutes) are not in common
> use, although I would note that the third minute of an hour is the period
> of U.S. power main standard 60 Hz alternating current.  Coincidence?

Hmm... Surprised I never noticed that! Perhaps no more of a coincidence
than standard-gauge rail width.

> The arc minute is so convenient for expressing human visual acuity because
> the value of the latter is coincidentally close to 1 arc minute.  For
> practical calculations at small angles arc minutes and arc seconds are best
> converted to radians, the arc second being approximately 5 microradians,
> the arc minute about 17 milliradians.  And, of course, the angular diameter
> of the sun is approximately 10 milliradians.
>
> Gordon

Whups!  You meant a *degree* is ~17 mRadian, didn't you? An arcsec is very
close to 0.3 mR or 300 uR...

Still, 0.3 mR for a fine feature, or 1.5 mR for a character are still
pretty convenient units for visual acuity. And the Tan function becomes
trivial in that regime...

Dave