Hi moondialists:

Here are the results of my observations during the January 20  total lunar
eclipse.  We had excellent viewing conditions with low ambient light pollution.

Readability:  The gnomon's shadow disappeared when about 3/4 of the moon was
darkened.

Time accuracy:  The sundial kept perfect time in the moments just before the
gnomon's shadow disappeared and just after it reappeared.  (I corrected for
EOT and longitude).

Declination/date readings:  As some of us suspected, the date showed July
20th throughout the course of the evening.

Color: the moon during totality was a yellowish ocher, and had a very three
dimensional look.  Just before the last sliver of white lunar surface
disappeared, the moon looked very much like a picture of Mars with it's
white polar cap!

John Carmichael
Tucson Az