On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Claude Hartman wrote:

> Another example was shown at the Reutte,
> Austria, sundial competition in 1998.
> This was submitted by Rafael Soler and
> called a "Bi-Filar" sundial.  It marked
> time by the intersection of the shadow
> of a horizontal disk and its vertical
> support rod.
>
> A larger photo is in my report
> of the Reutte competition at the 99 NASS
> Conference on the NASS web site:

http://www.sundials.org/conference/confpix/c-soler_m1.jpg

This is a very interesting dial design! As Claude described it, the
disk-shaped "hat" and the vertical shaft form the two edges of a bifilar
style. I can see how this could also be implemented as a single vertical
pole, with an overhanging "roof", the roof edge and pole casting their
shadows on the back wall of a porch or verandah, either vertical or sloped
as is Soler's dial plate.

Fer or Gianni: Would it be possible to include a more general sort of
bifilar dial design in your program(s)? Fer's Zonwvlak computes bifilar
designs, but assumes the threads are parallel to the X and Y axes, and (I
think) intersect the Z axis. Gianni's only accepts a single thread, but
allows it to be defined by two arbitrary (XYZ) points. A combination of
the two would be really, really nice!! :{)

Dave Bell
W121.9N37.3